Monday, November 5, 2007

Lies from Denny Rehberg

I got this response from my Congressman, regarding legislation to protect LGBT individuals from employment discrimination:

Dear Daniel:

Thanks for contacting me regarding the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2007 (H.R. 2015). It's good to hear from you.

As you know, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2007 was introduced on April 24, 2007 by Representative Barney Frank (D-MA). This act prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of actual or perceived sexual orientation and gender identity by employers, employment agencies, labor organizations, and joint-labor management committees.

I oppose the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2007 because the non-discriminatory policy of federal statutes should be equally applied to all citizens. While this bill would do nothing to eliminate discrimination in the workplace, it would increase uncertainty for Montana small business owners who will have to endure vague definitions of the "perceived" characteristics of their employees.

In addition, I also have concerns that this language does not protect the hiring prerogatives of religious schools. Under current law, the Civil Rights Act provides hiring protections for religious corporations, associations, societies, and educational institutions. This legislation fails to include these protections.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me on this matter. For more information and to sign up for my e-newsletter, please visit my website at http://www.house.gov/rehberg. Keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Denny Rehberg
Montana's Congressman

Hmm. "[T]he non-discriminatory policy of federal statutes should be equally applied to all citizens." Someone please tell me what this means. Please.

While I think religious schools, like any other schools, should be barred from discrimination, the bill does omit these schools, etc. from the protections it provides. It's right in the bill: "This Act shall not apply to a religious organization." But that's vague, you say. No, because "religious organization" is precisely defined in the bill. Check it out, if you like: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-3685.

Denny Rehberg is my Congressman, and I am ashamed that he is using blatant lies as tools to continue unfair treatment of LGBT Americans.

No comments: